Sunday, March 20, 2011

Staying Awake While Others Sleep

I've been working the night shift lately. I work at a nursing home as a staff nurse, and find that I can still manage the night shift pretty well. The day shift and pm shift exhaust me. Nights, not so much. I used to work nights on a regular basis, but finally got to the point where I just wanted to sleep while it was dark! . As my sister, Paula (also a nurse), says, "Nursing is a young girls' game."

Nevertheless, about an hour or so ago I agreed to work tonight for a colleague. I prefer the last minute turn around. Keeping my options open has been the name of my game for years. I'll work as long as it does not interfere with my social life. As of 4 pm this afternoon there were no special engagements, or fun events that called out to me, so, "Sure, Ill work for you," was my ready reply.

It doesn't hurt that I worked last night and slept most of today, either. As a result I am well rested (and a night owl to boot), and happy to have a job where I can be "on-call."

Nor does it hurt to find a way to make a few bucks to go toward those aformentioned car repairs!

And, yes, we went to church on Saturday evening.
Katherine

No comments: