Thursday, March 17, 2011

From Joy to Annoy(ing)

I just stood on my patio in bare feet, soaking up the sun and feeling as though I am on vacation in another state. Just days ago the wind chill here had to have been at 4 or 5 degrees. I mean, it was cold. Now it is fifty degrees, and in Minnesota that is verging on shorts and flipflop weather.  I can see sunroofs  open on many cars, and I have the patio door open as well. Fresh air. What a novelty.

I'm just sitting here breathing in that fresh air and thinking about how much I enjoyed the music last night at the Fine Line Music Cafe in downtown Minneapolis.  The Erin Bode Band from St Louis was in town. Erin is a good friend of my daughter, Anna. They were looking for another band to fill out the night, so Carl Torgerson, a local musician with whom my daughters, Paula and Anna, sing back up vocals got the booking. I know Erin,too. She is a great blues/jazz singer, and I never tire of hearing my own children perform. As you well know, a night on the town is especially fun when you have a personal connection with the performers.

As I'm sitting here I realize, once again, that it is the small things in life that give the most joy. Good conversation, a note from a friend that I haven't heard from in a while, looking forward to an upcoming event, a cup of good coffee. These are things that cost little but reward much.

In a word, I feel happy.

Now I get to ruin the remainder of the day doing income taxes.

Rats.

Katherine

No comments: