Saturday, January 08, 2011

The Lips of Little Children

Psalm 8:1,2 "O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger."

I cared for three of my grandchildren yesterday. One of the amazing things was how often they burst into song, and how often those songs were praise songs. The three and five year old go to pre-school and Sunday School at our Lutheran church. I know their mother often plays Christian tapes in the car as they travel about. My own children used to burst into song in the same way. Whether it was a conscious effort to show me a song they learned, or simply an unconscious activity as they played or colored or ate lunch, it just seemed to be a part of them.

I was amazed to read in Psalm 8 that this praise is ordained of God, and He calls it forth in order to silence "the foe and the avenger". The note in my Bible commentary referring to that verse says, "The mighty God, whose glory is displayed across the heavens, appoints (and evokes) the praise of little children to silence the dark powers arrayed against him."

Does anyone remember that children's song that goes "I don't want to march in the infantry, ride in the calvery, shoot the artillery, I don't want to fly o'er the enemy, I'm in the Lord's army?" Wow. That was literal. When we, as children, sang that and other praise songs, and when our children and grandchildren sing God's praises the astonishing result is that it silences the "foe and the avenger". What an honor.

I'm in the Lord's army, indeed! That is so cool.

Katherine

No comments: