Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Yea Team

I am an introvert. Those who know me well realize that. It does not mean that I do not like being with people, it just means that I become exhausted when I am around people for long periods of time. I need a little (or a lot) of solitude in order to refuel. My husband, on the other hand, loves to be around people whenever possible. He sees every person as a treasure and every new person as newly discovered  treasure. People energize him. The extrovert (like Paul) derives energy from people who are introverts (like me).

I tend to be task oriented. He tends toward being people oriented. When we work together on a project it is a beautiful thing. My strengths of planning and vision wedded to his strengths of making things happen and dealing with the others involved. Perfect.

Being so different we have not always mixed well in our approach to life. We argue (often about the meaning of words...that's a big one), and have hurt feelings, and keep out of one anothers way during some of those head butting days. But when we get on the same page, we are awesome.

Our greatest mutual project, other than raising children, (I was the task master, he was the teddy bear) was going on tour with our singing family. I set up a possible itinerary, selected the music, designed the program, did the rehersals, packed the kids, etc. He called the churches and arranged for us to come,  drove the bus to get us there, and created good will at every church we visited with his genuine interest in people. It was fun.

Team work really does make the dream work. Maybe we should see if the kids want to give touring another whirl.

Katherine

1 comment:

Dr. Barry L. Kolb said...

Interesting...Nancy & I are the same...though I am the introvert and she the extrovert!