Monday, April 04, 2011

Do Over

As I age I understand people's desire to believe in reincarnation. I don't give the idea credence. My faith assures me a different ending to the story of life, but I can appreciate the longing. As I look back I see  I have been confronted with  many forks in the road, as it were.  It being physically impossible to follow Yogi Berra's advice, i.e. "If you see a fork in the road, take it," I have consistently made choices on which way to go. If this, than not that.

Sometimes I embraced the "road less traveled" and sometimes I wandered along deciding to go one way or the other with little thought to the consequeces. No matter what led up to the decision, I was forced to pick one path over another. That's how life works for all of us.

But now, we find ourselves in good health or bad, in happy situations or sad, feeling on top of the world or having been had. And most of the time we are exactly where our choices have taken us. Sorry, folks, but, I think people pretty much do what they want to do.

That leads to looking for someone else to undo the damage, or acting as though my current situation is someone else's fault..... or longing for a reincarnation where I am rewarded a "do over"..... a fantasy that, with another chance, perhaps I will get it right the second time around.

And into this dilemna comes good news. Martin Luther, the great 16th century church reformer, says about Baptism:

"It signifies that the old Adam in us should, by daily contrition and repentance, be drowned and die with all sins and evil lusts, and, again, a new man daily come forth and arise; who shall live before God in righteousness and purity forever."

 A new (wo)man daily comes forth....a new day. New choices.

Another chance to get it right? I'll take it!

Katherine

No comments: