Friday, April 15, 2011

Be Prepared

I just read an article in which scientists at NASA are predicting that we could experience some significant solar flares in the next few years. Apparently this is a phenomonen that has happened in the past, but never at a time when we are so dependent on electronic devices. A worst case scenerio could distroy the entire electronic grid. That would mean it would disrupt everything from medical care to banking, to pumping gas. It would sever all telecommincation systems, and pretty much leave us all in the dark (literaly) for some period of time.


I was a girl scout, and so the motto "Be prepared" resonates with me. But how do you prepare for that kind of a disaster? The only real disaster I remember having to deal with in girl scouts was the time we were at a girl scout camp and one of the girls in our troop dropped her father's very expensive flashlight into the pit toilet. We could see where it was because the light was on when she dropped it. She was pretty freaked out because her dad had given her strict orders not to lose that flashlight. So, not knowing what else to do, we held on tightly to her legs (she was small enough to fit through the hole), and lowered her just enough to grab the handle and be pulled to safety.  Drastic events call for drastic measures. We were actually pretty proud of ourselves, and her.

Still, bravery alone does not suffice in every case. Perhaps we should look to the people in the northern part of Japan and learn how to face disaster from them. Is anyone taking notes? What did the people in Haiti wish they had known in advance of that massive earthquake? I know that necessity is the mother of invention, but I think it is better to give some thought as to what if....

I don't fear the future, but I am a planner. Bottled water, canned goods, a can opener, a battery powered radio, and flashlight. A first aid kit. I don't know. I think I'll just keep reading around on some of the survival websites and get a feel for this stuff. One I like is : http://www.offthegridnews.com/

"Be prepared":  I guess that's just the Girl Scout's way.

But, unafraid:  that's for sure the Christian's way!

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Ps. 23: 4

Katherine

No comments: