Thursday, August 10, 2006

Nothing but the Blood of Jesus

For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life. Leviticus 17: 11 NIV


Do you remember the old gospel song about the blood of Jesus?
It begins like this:

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

Andrew Murray wrote a wonderful book called The Power of the Blood of Christ.
In the book, this dedicated man of God traces the story of the power of blood to atone for sins. Starting in Genesis and continuing through Revelation. there is no stronger theme throughout the Bible.

From animal sacrifices that required the shedding of the blood of animals to the ultimate fulfilling of God’s plan of redemption through the shedding of the blood of His only Son the message is constant.

The writer of Hebrews 9:22 states, “In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Hebrews 9:12 says of Jesus, “He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but He entered the Most Holy Place once for all by His own blood, having obtained eternal redemption”.
Precious, indeed is the blood of Jesus. And when we approach the throne of God we’ll gladly sing that gospel song for it says what is in our hearts:

For my pardon, this I see,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
For my cleansing this my plea,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh, precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow.
No other fount I know;
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Nothing can for sin atone,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
Naught of good that I have done,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh, precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow.
No other fount I know;
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Dear Heavenly Father, we come seeking forgiveness for our many sins through Your Son, Jesus Christ, knowing that You receive us only because the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness. May Your Holy Spirit work such faith in our hearts that we are ever aware of your love toward us, and ever mindful of the great sacrifice that was necessary for the forgiveness of our sins. We pray in Jesus’ Name, Amen

No comments: