Thursday, August 17, 2006

A Day Off

Yesterday I packed a picnic lunch and drove to nearby Stillwater, MN for the day. It was a hot summer day and felt like I was on vacation for real. Stillwater is a quaint, yet vibrant city on the St. Croix river, complete with tourist attractions and a lift bridge. I even witnessed the bridge raising up to let a vessal through. Mosly I sat at a picnic table at riverside, ate my lunch, read a book and worked a puzzle or two in my sudoku puzzle book.

It reminded me of a number of things. The value of vacations. The beauty of nature. Time alone and without distractions brings God often to mind. And what a priviledge is is to live in this free country.

If you are failing to set aside days or hours like this in your life, I urge you to do so. Don't be too busy to reflect, and pray, and replenish.

No comments: